Unlock an often-overlooked marketing tool and discover the power of Google My Business posts to draw in more customers.
If you’re searching for a new gym, restaurant, or anything else, the initial thing that comes to mind is Google. So how do these businesses appear on search engines? By establishing a free Google Business Profile (formerly known as Google My Business). This easy-to-use tool helps promote your business and reach customers both near and far!
What makes Google Business Profile so powerful? The answer is straightforward:
- Your profile is visible to customers who are actively scouring for a company like yours, so make sure you stand out!
- Consumers can easily get a sense of your brand’s identity by viewing photos, reviews, and updates.
- Investing a small amount of time in maintaining your profile will pay off with an influx of customers.
As everyone else scrambles for attention on Instagram or Facebook, potential customers can locate your business profile exactly when they need it – in other words, at the moment they’re ready to purchase from you now. Your GMB profile supplies them with that extra knowledge ‘push’ needed to pick your product over someone else’s right away.
Keep reading to discover the secrets of crafting customer-engaging Google My Business posts, such as what type of content you should post, when it is best to post and how to sidestep common mistakes.
Google My Business Post: What is it and How does it work?
Google My Business posts are an invaluable opportunity to make your business stand out! You can share a glimpse into what makes you unique with up to 1,500 characters of text and additional visuals such as photos, videos, offers, or e-commerce listings. These informative updates will appear directly alongside other details on the profile whenever customers search for you in Google Search and Maps – giving them more insight before they visit (or buy).
Here’s an example of a text and photo post published by a fitness gym:
There are 6 types of posts available to all businesses:
For businesses with specific requirements, three additional post types are available to help make your process easier.
- Menu, for restaurants
- Products, for ecommerce
Do you need to pay for a Google My Business post?
Absolutely not! Everything from creating your profile, adding your business to Google Maps, and even crafting posts is completely free of charge.
Is leveraging the power of Google My Business posts the right move for my business?
Absolutely! Without question, having a Google Business Profile is an absolute necessity for businesses utilizing brick-and-mortar locations. After all, there’s no denying that it is one of the top ways customers seek out your business. Therefore, optimizing and focusing on local SEO should be viewed as common sense when seeking to increase brand visibility online.
Furthermore, it’s completely free! A complementary way to generate more organic traffic from a platform where 88% of consumers who seek out a nearby business will be at the store within the span of only one week? Sounds pretty amazing if you ask me.
Related: Master the Art of using Google Business Profiles in 2023
Google My Business post image resolutions
Utilizing the ideal image sizes for each social media platform and advertising channel demonstrates that you value your brand’s consistency. By paying attention to these details, it will create a lasting impression on potential new customers as well as existing ones.
For the highest quality results, Google recommends using photos or videos with a 4:3 aspect ratio when uploading. If this isn’t an option, make sure to center your subject in order to reduce any cropping that may occur.
It is highly advised to not upload photos that are larger than 1200px wide, since Google will most likely compress them and cause the images to become blurred. Nevertheless, this may change with future algorithm updates.
To ensure your photos appear their best on Google, they should meet these criteria:
- Google My Business Profile Photo Size: 250 x 250 pixels (minimum 120 x 120; maximum 5200 x 5300)
- Google My Business Cover Photo Size: 1080 x 608 pixels (minimum 480 x 270; maximum 2120 x 1192)
- Format: JPG or PNG
- Size: Between 10 KB and 5 MB
- Minimum Resolution: 720 px tall, 720 px wide
- Quality: The photo should be in focus and well lit. It should have no significant alterations or excessive use of filters. In other words, the image should represent reality.
How to build a Google My Business post
Step 1: Determine your post type
Looking to share an update, create a video, revamp your menu, add a service, or introduce an offer? Log in to the Google My Business dashboard and navigate yourself towards Posts for various options.
Businesses of certain types can only use specific menu post formats to share their offerings.
Before you begin crafting your post, decide the purpose and goals of it in terms of what fits into your overall social content strategy. Ask yourself questions such as:
- Are you introducing an innovative product or service?
- Are you seeking to attract and retain long-time customers or capture new ones?
- How can you seize your target customer’s attention and draw them in?
Need more inspiration for posts? Take a review and turn it into an eye-catching graphic with Google’s Marketing Kit. Don’t forget to be creative – why not print out several reviews and create a wall of praise in your storefront, or hang them up in the store window? This is sure to grab potential customers attention!
Related: How to Benefit from Google My Business: Enhance Your Listing for Local SEO in 2023
Step 2: Write your post
Crafting social media content is certainly not the same as solving complex math equations, but it can be simplified even further. Fortunately, there are ways to make that happen.
If you want to maximize your visibility on Google My Business, these tips are essential—this advice can’t be applied to other social networks.
- Avoid running afoul of Google’s strict content regulations. Although promoting social stances or highlighting your customers on other networking sites may be effective, it is not the case with Google. They would get rid off any material they think to be irrelevant and out-of-context so make sure that you review their company profile policies properly beforehand.
- Use hashtags. Irrelevant keywords do nothing to improve your ranking and only serve to muddle up your writing.
- Utilize images and videos to show off your location or products; infographics should be saved for other social networks.
- If you don’t have any stunning images yet, take advantage of Google’s free marketing kit. Even though a real photo is the ideal pick for visuals, this tool can be used to supplement posts about events or deals if needed.
- Restrict your post to a concise length. Google users are seeking rapid answers or data, not long-form pieces – although you have 1,500 characters at your disposal, there’s no need to use every single one of them.
- Make sure to customize your CTA button as it can be a powerful tool in directing customers on your Google My Business post. The default option is “Learn More,” but you have the ability to select various other options such as “Sign up,” “Order now,” and even “Book.” Each of these links can direct people onto a landing page, coupon code or product page – so make sure that yours stands out with an intriguing call-to-action.
Step 3: Publish your post
And you’re done! Your post is live on your profile. Keep in mind that Google My Business posts remain visible for 7 days, and then they will be erased from your account automatically.
Step 4: Interact and answer your customers’ inquiries
By posting on your profile, you could potentially inspire a customer or prospect to leave you feedback or ask a question. It’s essential that these connections are addressed promptly and thoroughly.
This holds true across many platforms, but especially Google My Business; your reviews are prominently displayed in local searches and have the potential to make or break someone’s decision to visit.
Make it a habit to:
- Make sure you reply to any new reviews as soon as possible – aiming for once a day if possible.
- Transform your reviews into diverse types of content: Incorporate them into social media posts, feature them on your website, or even add them to in-store signs.
- Ensure that every query has been satisfactorily addressed.
- Interact with post comments by replying, connecting and engaging in meaningful conversations.
- Ensure your Business Profile is always up-to-date with pertinent information such as opening hours, contact details, and the products/services that you offer.
4 Ways to Make the Most of Your Google My Business Posts with Smart Strategies
1. Showcase your latest products, services, or new offers with an eye-catching photo to inspire potential customers.
When you pair superior photos with concise, clear service descriptions and a compelling call to action? Your success is basically guaranteed!
GrabOn’s post offers up to 80% off when you buy a gift on Father’s Day. The photo and description clearly state that the offer will only be valid on Father’s Day, and encourages people to click-through directly to the page where they can make their purchase.
2. Feature an upcoming event
Plan a big event with ease! With the Event post type in your Google Business Profile dashboard, you can easily host conferences, seminars or special events. Not only will it appear on your profile but also in the relevant Google event listings.
If you are looking to streamline your event management, integrating Eventbrite with Google My Business is the perfect solution. Automatically listing new events for recurring ones has never been easier! This will allow you to focus on other aspects of your business and take away a lot of stress from organizing large-scale events.
3. Express your appreciation while delivering vital updates
Kaleidoscope Coffee Company takes pride in showing their gratitude to our veterans by providing a complimentary drink on Veterans Day. Plus, this post follows an essential principle of Google Business posts— keeping it concise!
Rather than being all about them, this post celebrates the veterans and recognizes their selfless sacrifices for our freedom.
4. Display your space
Ross Dress for Less boasts an impressive array of slick, professional photos to give searchers a glimpse of the store’s fashion-forward appeal. Thanks to these visuals, potential customers can quickly ascertain if Ross’ style matches their own sensibilities.
Google My Business is a powerful tool for businesses to reach out to their customers and prospects, build relationships with them, and draw in new leads. With the right strategies and tactics, you can make the most of your Google My Business posts and ensure that your profile always stands out from the competition! Take advantage of all the features offered by this platform, such as photos and events, to bring attention to your business and drive more engagement. Finally, use these posts to show off your appreciation for customers and establish a lasting connection that keeps them coming back for more!